View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 06:55 PM
omak

A secret to teaching is to make sure that each lesson is about allowing the student to do by herself what you have taught her.
Pretty hard to use a sewing machine if you don't know how to thread it, wind a bobbin, or even turn it on <g>.
Helping someone get comfortable with using a sewing machine involves understanding what one might be afraid of. Like how fast is it supposed to go and how fast can I handle? Most important ... that needle there ... what do I have to do to keep it from stabbing me?
And, how do I know where the needle is sewing?
I tell my students that no matter what, the needle will go up and down, without them having to watch it. It isn't going to move, and it will move as fast as you push the pedal.
Using paper to practice getting used to the machine is a very good thing to do.
At the factory, we were presented with pages that had straight lines drawn on them, squares spiraling out from the center ... about three full sheets can give so much confidence to the student! They develop a rythym, and when they get bored, they will "push the envelope" a bit to see what else they can do. And, I use thread in the machine. It shows easily where one has been and help them figure out "if I do this, that will happen" ...
I agree with everyone that being able to take home a finished project is a good thing. I prefer to "practice" and get something done than to just diddle around and waste fabric, time, and thread. Being able to connect practicality with effort is very rewarding.
The more I can help my student succeed, the more interested they are in doing more on their own. So, I precut the needed pieces.
If they mis-sew something, I put them on the next pieces while I take the threads out for them. They will figure out how to rip out stitches soon enough, but while a mistake is clear in their head, it is better that they sew to remove that mistake.
If it becomes clear that they think they are entertaining me by making mistakes, then it is time to give them the task while I go accomplish something else for awhile <g>. I am just not THAT bored! LOL
And, as long as they are producing good work, I do the ironing, also.
Of course, if you haven't guessed ... I am talking almost all of the time, as I tell them what I am thinking about taking threads out, why sewing well is best, etc. Tips on ripping out seams ... whatever will help them get beyond where they are and learn while doing four patches or two pieces of fabric together ...
When I skipped the paper thing on one of my students, I noticed that she would only sew about ten stitches before stopping and readjusting everything.
I finally got her to expand her expertise by explaining about driving .... if she drove the way she was sewing, she would have never made it out of her driveway in time to get to our appointment ... had I used the paper practice before I ever put her to a project, she would have been HOURS ahead.
I attempt to inspire my students to understand that what they are doing with a machine or a rotary cutter has historically been done by hand and before harnessing electricity was a gleam in Thomas Edison's eye! In other words ... do not be limited by what you do not have, but keep an eye out for what you can do with what is available to you.
It is sort of like learning to use a calculator before you can add two plus two and get four - three times in a row ... too much dependence on the gifts we are surrounded by in supplies and resources diminishes our ability to fully use our brains.
What a marvelous opportunity you have to teach a youngster!
I hope she enjoys the experience as much as you will <g>