View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Sheila Elaine

Thanks everyone for the input. The girl's Mom hasn't told her about me yet, but in talking to the Mom today, she said there's a club, something like 4H, where I could do a demonstration on Sat's for kids who are interested. She mentioned that it would probably be all girls, but I told her I have taught my gson how to make a patchwork pillow (large bed size). He did everything by himself, cutting, machine sewing, & even the pressing. He is OCD & has to have everything so precise. Well, needless to say, his sewing is better than mine, esp when he hand sews. My gdau watched me a lot when she'd come over and made herself a cats in the windows wallhanging. She embellished their outfits with buttons, lace & ribbon. She is quite imaginative & it turned out great.

I feel it's great to pass onto the youngsters skills they can use in practical everyday ways. Lots of them don't know how to sew on buttons or repair a simple pulled hem, except with a staple of safety pin. My son learned to sew & before I'd get around to to patching his jeans, he'd have gone in & have it done & be wearing them out the door. My dau is a lefty...tried several times to teach her, but we butted heads so finally gave up.

Thanks again.