View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Lisa T

I had another wedding tonight, which this summer meant I had another Christmas quilt to make. (My theme for this summer's wedding gifts is a Christmas quilt.)

Being- ahem!- a "completely abnormal quilter" I was still up hand sewing the binding at 4:00 this morning. No worries- the gal at the lqs assured me this was standard practice. She also laughed because she remembered the last wedding I went to (a few weeks ago)- I was sewing the binding on in the car on the way there. So I was way ahead of the game for this one. LOL! For the next wedding, who knows, maybe I'll have it done THE DAY BEFORE! (I'm crazy like that- you never know what I'll do next...)

Anyway, on to the the stats: I made this the really easy way- I just wrapped strips from a jelly roll of Merry and Bright (by Sandy Gervais for Moda) around squares from a charm pack. For the floating blocks border I used up the remainder of the strips and a thrifted sheet. I was super lucky and got enough of the teal colored snowflake fabric for a back FROM THE 40% OFF ROOM at lqs!!!Woohoo for nice cheap backs! The binding was Holly Jolly which matches the Merry and Bright.

This is the second quilt I have quilted on my new Bernina 430. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it. So glad I went with that one. I did my normal quilting (double stitch the ditch about a quarter of an inch away) for the center and then all the way around the outside I did a wavy stitch that was built into the machine (#4).

I also used the basting spray stuff since I was in a time crunch and it was great! I would use it again, but it was expensive so maybe I will try out some other kind of water soluble spray glue on a cheap quilt and see how that goes.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-15475.jpe   attachment-15476.jpe   attachment-15696.jpe