Old 02-04-2012, 07:23 AM
Lioness3xs

I baste my dowel rods to the back of my quilts with a whip stitch the entire length of the dowel. I use this for only the small quilts. Then accurately place 2 nails in your wall and make sure they are closer together than the dowels length. The threads will help anchor the dowel to the nail heads, especially if you make your stitches shorter. I baste this dowel right along the edge of the binding, or parrell to it, that has been stitched on the backing. If your quilt is square, your dowel should be very level. The other thing I don't use is the nail. I use small 3M removable wall hooks. I like the ones with a hook that will hold the dowel better. In this case, my dowel rod is stitched lower on the back to hide the plastic hook from showing. I used my laser level and then applied 3 of the hooks to the wall for each dowel.

Addition thought that just came to me. Forget the dowel but keep the 3 M stickly tape. Apply the tape to the back side of a piece of velcro and sew the opposite pieces of velcro to the back of the quilt with basting stitches. The velcro can later be removed from both the wall and quilt and will keep the quilt close to the wall. I used a boughten 3M product like this for posters in our Man Cave.

Last edited by Lioness3xs; 02-04-2012 at 07:29 AM. Reason: additional thought