Old 08-22-2009, 06:06 AM
Favorite Fabrics

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
so where exactly is your quilt shop?

do you only carry novelty prints because thats all you seem to post here?

are these types of prints big sellers in your area?
Our shop is in Orchard Park, which is a suburb of Buffalo, NY. Near the shores of Lake Dreary (oops - meant Lake Erie), where cloudy skies are the norm most of the year. Hence my enthusiasm for stars. Between the city lights and the clouds, a good night for stargazing is a rare thing indeed.

We are open to walk-in customers - they're actually the highlight of our day - but the vast majority of our business is done online, which explains the emphasis on novelty prints. When you sell online, regardless of what it is that you sell, you have to be "findable" when a person types a few words into the search box. So... that works well for novelty fabrics. You can type in "potato fabric" or "breast cancer awareness fabric" and we'll show up. Anything that is hard to describe - like batiks, or collections of florals, we generally would not do well with. Similarly, wonderful subtle prints that would be exquisite when seen in person, but which don't have enough contrast to show well in a little picture on a computer screen, we also have to pass on. I find it somewhat frustrating. But the novelty prints can be so much "fun" that I figure, we'll just enjoy the fact that the fabrics that do well for us are also the ones that tend to make us smile.

I don't know when I'm going to have something that you like, Klue! I'll keep trying, though...