Old 02-04-2012, 12:48 PM
DawnFurlong

The needle on the machine probably was dull, I have no idea how long it had been used. And when I put the needles up side by side again (both new needles) - they seemed the same height. If one is taller it is only a smidge - but I was probably comparing the old to the new last night. But for whatever reason, the Universal seems to be what this machine wants.

That's fine, I can use the Universal...but I do notice that I have variations in my stitch on the back of my fabric. As in sometimes the stitches are well defined (front and back) and other times it seems they are less defined on the back (sort of like they melt into each other). Not sure what that is about. And it can go back and forth between more defined and less - without me changing anything. Seems the longer I sew, the stitches are more likely to seem less defined. ???

Also, mostly the stitches are straight, but sometimes one here or there kind of slants slightly. For everyday piecing, this won't matter. The only time I see it being noticeable is when doing SITD, which I plan on doing on a quilt top I have ready to go. It isn't terrible, but on a straight line, it can be seen. I don't know if that will just be how this machine rolls, or if this is normal.

After I posted this I stumbled upon a post in the resources area that gave some links to Schmetz needles. It was very helpful in explaining the difference between the various types of needles. I think I searched on needles as opposed to stitches - and that is how I found it.

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
Thanks for posting your discovery!! I'll have to remember this!!

Could it have also been that the needle that came with the machine was old and dull?