Old 08-22-2009, 06:30 AM
Favorite Fabrics

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by Joan
My only concern about stocking this line is that Peter Rabbit has been done by other manufacturers as well.
Yes, Peter Rabbit has been done by at least two different manufacturers; before Quilting Treasures did it, I think it was A. E. Nathan that had the rights to the designs, and the fabrics were sold through JoAnn Fabrics (and probably other chains too).

I think the way it works is that only one manufacturer is licensed to work with an artist's designs, at a time. Whether it's a living or dead artist, the same rules seem to apply. For instance, Mary Engelbreit used to license her designs to Cranston but now she's designing for Moda. And, consider, even if Beatrix Potter's heirs would be willing to license a second company to make Peter Rabbit fabrics at the same time, why would that second company even want to do so? They would already know that they would be competing directly with another maker. And Quilting Treasures is no longer printing any of their earlier Peter Rabbit groups, so this is all there is to choose from, right now.

My only thought about this line is that I'm not really loving the coral and lavender. Maybe I'm just unimaginative, but I always think pink-blue-yellow-green for baby items. But the panel has enough green to be gender-neutral, likewise the scenic print and the floral.