View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 09:32 AM
auntpiggylpn

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
Hardly anybody will take used machines on trade anymore. They can't sell them for much, and anyone they sell the used machine to would have been a candidate to have bought a new machine at a higher profit margin.

And if anyone complains about the profit margin of a sewing machine dealer, consider that your restaurant food costs only about 25-33% of your price. I don't hear anyone complaining horridly about the profit of restaurants though. Buildings, staff, utilities, all the "free" classes, training for staff - there are lots of costs that are not always obvious.

Pam
I wasn't complaining about the profit margin of the dealer. My complaint was that anyone that has looked into buying a 7700 knows the going rate is about $2500. My problem was that they wanted to sell me JUST the machine. There are accessories that come with this machine that at other dealers are included in the $2500.

As for restaurants, you are paying for the convenience of someone else shopping, preparing, serving, and clean up. With the massive amounts of restaurants concentrated in areas, you have a choice as to where you will spend your money. Sewing machine dealers do not even compare to restaurants. I would compare them more to a car dealership but even then, there are many car dealers in a concentrated area.