Old 02-05-2012, 05:17 PM
sweetana3

I travel all over for all kinds of classes and retreats. Seldom does hubby go. I have gone to VT, AZ, FL, NC, IN, WI, AK, etc. and the only thing to be sure of is that quilters are almost always nice and welcoming.

I loved the NC State yearly conference since it moves around the state and is held at colleges so the cost for rooma and meals is reasonable. I loved Quilting in the Pines in Flagstaff. A whole week of classes and again in a college and reasonable even with airfare and car.

I keep it reasonably local if only a long weekend but will travel distances for a week of quilting.

The best place to start is with all your local guilds and fabric shops. Just keep asking and leaving your name.

I found the best ever retreat by doing an internet search and committing to a 5.5 hour drive to get there. We stay from Monday thru Friday and it is wonderful. This is my fourth year in a row.

Gwen Marston has a week retreat in Upper Michigan. Quilters come from all over the USA to go to one of her weekly retreats. John C. Campbell Folk School in NC has wonderful quilt classes. I think Georgia Bonesteel is coming in August?? It is like a cruise on land. All inclusive. Check them out on www.folkschool.org.