Old 02-06-2012, 05:43 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I'm wanting to HC my 319. When I was down at Glen's we figured out how it could be done. I was just curious to know if he actually did it with his yet. The 319 does not have enough room for both a spoke wheel and a HC. The balance wheel has to be modified to accept the HC. Neither of us wanted to cut away the balance wheel of the 319. But we figured out we could take a balance wheel off another machine and notch or put in a metal piece to hold the HC arm in place. Putting in a piece of metal does require tapping a screw hole in the balance wheel to hold the metal on. http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...k/fwcrank.html here is something I found. You do not have to build up the machine boss on the 319. The HC simply bolts on. A balance wheel is what needs to be modified.
Miriam, those 319w's are so great in treadle or as the original electric machine that I can't see why anyone would want to make them a hand crank. I think it would not be so easy to HC the decorative stitches? If I am not treadling really smoothly when using the decorative stitches, I will skip a stitch. The motor runs smooth, your treadling has to been just as smooth to get the decorative stitches. I have done a lot of hand cranking on my 15-88 with thread play on quilts and that is fine for a straight stitch, but I am not so sure I'd have good luck with the decorative stitches? I have really had to work hard to stay very smooth when treadling to get the pretty stitches I want when using my 319w's decorative stitches. I am curious to hear from Glenn if he does make the 319w a HC how it goes doing the decorative stitches?

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-06-2012 at 05:48 AM.