View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Tiffany

Hi ccbear66. I always put a label on my quilts. If it is meant to be an heirloom quilt or is something special, I will attached the label to the back before quilting. The reason for this is that it is pretty much impossible for someone to remove the label since it means taking out the quilting as well. It's to help keep quilts from getting stolen, something that happens occasionally from shows or when mailing a quilt.

I always put my name, the date, and the city and state where I created the quilt onto the label. I also put the name of the quilt, if I made it for someone then I put their name on it. I normally quilt all my own quilts but if I have someone else do the quilting then their name also goes on the label. These are all things I consider requirements. Things I might add if I have the space (I both make my own labels and use pre-printed labels), I will add in what pattern I used and the creator of the pattern. I have also been known to add in thoughts or a poem, something that may have inspired the quilt. I've also kept track of how many hours it has taken to make a quilt and when I do that I always add that to the label. People who don't quilt have no real understanding of how much time and work goes into making one of these and I've discovered if someone realizes it took several hundred hours to make it, they will be less likely to take it to the beach and throw it down in the dirt and sand. :shock: One thing I haven't added yet but am considering is putting a second label on the quilt that has instructions on how to care for the quilt so that it last.

I hope this helps.
~Tiffany