Old 02-06-2012, 03:41 PM
jillaine

ha hahahahhahhahhahha ha ha
Easy block? har har har
While you were writing this perfectly reasonable advice, I was facing A-9 - "Cabin Fever". This block is what got me to finally break down and learn PP because there was no way in H-E-double-L that I was going to do that by normal piecing.

So I went looking on YouTube and really liked this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uaW26igygE

I particularly like that she figured it out herself.

but did I start with an easy block? of course not!

While doing the middle section of A-9, I kept saying to myself (outloud, of course): WHY HAVEN'T I DONE THIS EARLIER??? OMGoodness!! So if anyone has been putting off learning how to do paper piecing, put it off no longer.
The only thing is that while the center section of A-9 was pretty easy, I followed "thatquilt.blogspot.com" on how to put the larger pieces together, and I had a heck of a time doing the "borders". I ended up NOT being able to paper piece them.

But I'm pretty pleased with the results. Look below.

Oh, and I did use freezer paper. But pulling the paper off was still a pain. I need to review "thatquilt's" paper piecing link (again), especially now that I know how to do general PP.

Thanks for your encouragement!

Originally Posted by Chay View Post
Jillaine, pick an easy block and use the freezer paper piecing tutorial on ThatQuilt blog - you'll find a link on the right sidebar. It makes pp so fun. The freezer paper really stabilizes the fabric so even bias edges are easier to work with and there's no tearing off paper in the end. I have used this technique on over 100 DJ blocks and can't imagine doing it any other way.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]309530[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dj_jss_a-9.jpg