Old 02-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Cybrarian

Nancy Lee has it right. We want everything at cheap prices, but then wonder where all the jobs have gone. We cannot have our cake and eat it too. My husband has made us some beautiful furniture pieces. People will say, why don't you make it and sell it? Well, we have a 5 piece entertainment center, an original one of a kind design. To make it for someone else, you are looking at $11,000 minimum. How many people do you know who would be willing to pay that? Yes, I know the market exists, but we have no idea how to tap that market and unless it was a commission, we don't have the money for speculative pieces. My husband is not young so he isn't looking for a new career. He does what he likes when he feels like it and that is all he wants his crafting to be at this stage of our lives. Quilting is the same way, unless you are willing to put in the time and energy to develop a realistic market, having it as a creative outlet and helping those in need is enough. Family is tricky, as we all have different dynamics and levels of communication. Having spent many years communicating with students, parents and fellow teachers I would like to humbly offer this observation: What we assume someone else means or what they assume we mean is rarely completely accurate. You have to say what you mean and mean what you say. Just sayin'...