View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 05:08 AM
DawnFurlong

Oh thank you for the encouragement! It was a total impulse buy. I got home and did some gentle scrubbing on the face plate and the round circular plate where the light attaches (very light rust or maybe just oxidation...lots of little dots - but they clean off with a little elbow grease and baking soda - love baking soda and vinegar for various cleaning jobs!). And then I stood back looking at it wondering - what do I do with it now?!!! And felt overwhelmed and again wondered - why again did I buy this?

I did a quick measurement of the bed (it is down in the cabinet right now). About 8 to 8.5 inches. So am now thinking a 66 clone?

I managed to snap off the bobbin cover. :-( It was hinged, was just fine - until I forgot to close it when I decided to put the machine back down in the cabinet. Can I replace that? I can't even tell how it was hinged on.

Today - I decided that I will pull Bennett's cleaning tutorial (thank you Bennett!). But I do have a quick question. I see many posts that mention soaking pieces in an oil bath. What kind of oil? I can see some rust or corrosion on the bobbin winder (though the bobbin tire looks relatively new, as does the belt). I also want to disassemble the tension disk thing at some point (will take a picture of every step so I can get it back together). I think I will just study these various video/picture tutorials on cleaning this up. And keep reminding myself - if you ladies can do this - surely I can learn to do this! I'll also remember I am not in a race - so can take my time so I don't get too overwhelmed.

At this same shop another machine caught my eye. It is a British Sewing Machine, hand crank. Actually in nice shape (should have snapped some pictures). Missing one of the bobbin slide plates (has the plates like a 27/127 - those rectangular ones). It is a vibrating shuttle machine - and it has the shuttle in it and a bobbin (very shiny shuttle - like a silver bullet!). I have already decided that I don't know that I want to sew on a hand crank (I actually want to use all the machines I buy ). But she is so pretty and I like the sound she made when I turned the crank. $39 for her. I'll probably check back periodically and see if she is still there. Oh, she is still in a base, that is in pretty good condition as compared to most bases I see with a Bentwood (or coffin??) top. That rounded wood top that is in the shape of a mailbox. That was in excellent condition. And I am thinking - this is madness - I have to stop looking! I cannot house this many sewing machines!! But you know, if I offered $20 or $25 for her and they said yes - she'd probably come home with me. At least I could hide her in my closet until I get my husband on board with collecting vsm's!