View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 05:48 AM
miriam
Power Poster

"Today - I decided that I will pull Bennett's cleaning tutorial (thank you Bennett!). But I do have a quick question. I see many posts that mention soaking pieces in an oil bath. What kind of oil? I can see some rust or corrosion on the bobbin winder (though the bobbin tire looks relatively new, as does the belt). I also want to disassemble the tension disk thing at some point (will take a picture of every step so I can get it back together). I think I will just study these various video/picture tutorials on cleaning this up. And keep reminding myself - if you ladies can do this - surely I can learn to do this! I'll also remember I am not in a race - so can take my time so I don't get too overwhelmed."

You are right this is not a contest or a race. We will answer any questions you might have.
Yes there is a post on here about soaking your machine in kerosene - I highly doubt if they do that at a shop. I think maybe you need to dis-assemble a machine if you want to pay someone to repaint it, then re-assemble it for you. Most machines just do NOT need that much to make them work again. Removing too much oil patina will loose the protective coat and could cause it to rust. Some dried on oil is ok. Dried on oil in the moving parts is not ok. It is pretty easy to fix though. There is plenty of good information on QB other wise. Here's one I cleaned up minimally. It went from frozen to working without harsh chemicals. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t169127.html My helper was pregnant so we just oiled it with Triflow. I think heat and regular sewing machine oil would do the same.