View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 10:10 AM
NJ Quilter

Originally Posted by KimS View Post
I think you are an angel in disguise!!! I'd love to be able to donate but I have a cat and 2 small dogs in the house and when I've contacted charities, because of this, they say they can't accept the quilts due to allergy reasons. I even asked them if I washed them in All Free and Clear, put them in the shipping box right out of the dryer and got them out of the house immediately if they could accept them then and the answer has been no. I sure wouldn't want to make a child more ill than they already are so for now I get to cheer on those of you who can do this. I'll be right there with you in spirit helping you in every way possible to make a child feel safe, warm and loved. God bless you!!

PS: Can't wait to see your quilts!!
You may still be able to donate to QFK. I have 2 dogs and a (gasp) smoking household. My quilts for them have never been turned away. I wash/dry before giving and always spray w/Febreeze as soon as I get out of the car (as their HQ are near to me I usually drop off). I have, in the past, see some of the donated quilts lying in the sun for a bit but they are not turned away. And you don't need to LA. They do require machine quilting but only basic quilting. I've done simple crosshatching every 3-4 in. and they have commented on how wonderfully 'heavily' quilted they were. And they will supply kits to you if you have no stash of your own. All you would need to provide is batting. Give them a try.