Old 02-07-2012, 02:16 PM
quiltingfan

That is sad. I hope you have more reasons than just rude neighbors, friends, and family for shutting the business down. I would never presume on family to give me something when they get paid for there service from others. It is like taking food out of there mouths. In this day and age I would imagine more people realize that but I guess not. Well, just wanted to let you know my heart goes out to you. Beth

Originally Posted by nstitches4u View Post
We have all been there. I have a machine embroidery business and am constantly being asked by friends to make a "little something" for them or for them to give as a gift. We buy our shirts, caps, jackets, etc. from suppliers, but they usually want to go buy a cheap shirt at Walmart and have us digitize a design to put on it. They don't seem to understand that the digitizing takes a lot of time. They think all you have to do is push a button and it is done. If they offer to pay at all, it doesn't begin to cover the actual cost. We buy shirts wholesale and then charge retail price plus the digitizing and setup charge. We still don't make a lot of money, but when we do things for family, and friends (and friends of friends!) we don't break even. We are retired now and because of the presumption of family and friends that we "wouldn't mind doing a little something as a favor" we are shutting the business down. It just isn't worth it any more.