Old 02-07-2012, 04:42 PM
miriam
Power Poster

The scones are yummy - those are my favorites. I've had to sample a lot of test scones too - quit carbs & lost 40 lbs. DH also makes some killer food in the other dutch ovens. Just about anything tastes better from a DO than at home - I don't know why. We made an agreement when we started camping. He would cook. I would sleep in a tent. The one time I tried to cook on a stupid fire was documented sad to say. I built me a big old fire - quit laughing... Got out the small DO and put in some oil and onions and stew meat. Put it on the fire and shortly figured out I had too much fire. So I maneuvered the DO off the fire - in the process, I spilled oil into the fire..... You got it - flames leaped up. Oh well, wipe my teary eyes on my apron - this was a historical camp btw... Then I look over yonder and there is this man shooting at me with a big expensive camera with a long zoom. EEEEWWWWW. Not good. So I stirred down the fire and put the pot back on. He comes and shoots a few more pics right in my face. Then he says, "I'm with the Cincinnati Enquirer" etc. Then he says, "Is there anything you would like to say to our readers" I took a big sniff, wiped my teary eyes on my filthy apron and said with a catch in my voice, "I don't know how our foremother's did it." Later, when I had to go to the out house - there was a mirror - I had big black streaks down my face, my hair was sticking out of my skewed bonnet.... sigh. It never made it to print - that night it rained, water came up under the tent - everything got good and wet. The good news was the event was cancelled. Yeah, I still sleep in a tent and DH cooks. Seems like the most memorable camping times were when things don't go perfect.