Old 02-07-2012, 08:56 PM
seasaw2mch

I'm running into the same sort of problem right now. I have been trying to make so extra money to help foot the bill for all the quilts that I've been making for the soldiers. Last year I spent well over $5,000. just in materials. I'm not complaining it was something I wanted to do but in order to keep this going I was going to make a quilt to raffle off and use the money I get from it to buy more fabric for that cause. Well in talking with a lady that is involved with helping me distribute some of the quilts to the hospital, I some how ended up agreeing to making about 6 quilts. One to raffle off and the others will be given to the soldiers at the VA hospital. So I'm feel like I'm stuck footing the bill again without even knowing if I can get enough out of the raffling of one to pay for the fabrics.

Now she did bring me some scrap materials that she had picked up from who knows where and a lot of it I can't use because it really stained. Looks like it had gotten wet some where and bled on each other. First of all, I have never done a scrappy quilt, I just don't know where to start. I guess I'll have to learn huh! After washing most every thing she brought me by hand (because the pieces are to small for normal washing, I find that most of the pieces are not fit to be used. So I guess I'm back to square one, using my own fabrics and NEVER asking anyone for help in keeping me going on this. I figure if I can't afford to do it, then it's time to stop. So heart breaking since I really enjoy doing it.

Anyway, be thankful that she at least pays for the fabrics but I agree with every ones else, they have NO IDEA what it cost or the time it takes to make them. It's hard to tell family members NO but I'm learning that some times you have to whether it's family or not.