Thread: Pantographs
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 11:41 AM
JustAbitCrazy

Sandybeach's right. A good beginner panto would be something curvy without alot/any points. You also want something which is forgiving--nothing geometric with exact repeats, because if you don't hit the lines exactly, it is immediately obvious. You want something like leaves, flowers, fish, etc. which will look good even if they are not all exactly the same. You also want some room between quilting lines, so if you are off the line you won't overlap other stitching. When you do get to machine quilting points, you have to hit them fast and get off them fast. I imagine a ping pong ball bouncing off a wall. If you linger too much on the point you get a build up of thread there, like a little knot. If you don't actually hit the point, the stitch crosses over it and there is no point in the stitching. Takes practice to get it right. It's not easy to be perfect on every point. You have to concentrate continuusly. There are videos to show you how to line up each row when pantographing. I always do a dry run with the machine not running once I think the next row is lined up, and before I actually quilt it, pausing at each or many low points in the pattern to see where they will stitch out---not overlapping the previous row, and not to far away, either. Good luck to you, have fun! and practice, practice, paractice.