Old 08-23-2009, 07:25 AM
kluedesigns
Banned

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by kluedesigns

in this case i would do strip paper piecing.

you figure out the size strip you need to cover the large sections and go to work. it might be something like 5 inches high by the width of the fabric.

sew the strip on to the paper, fold it over to cover the section, and trim the 1/4 seam for the next section.

then when you need that color again just use the strip.

Yup! This is what I do as well. If I am doing several of the same block I will actually cut the strip down to the length of the biggest piece. So I measure the unit in the paper at it's longest point by it's widest point regardless of what kind of crazy angles it may have. I have found that with many angled pieces I can get two out of a cut rectangle by flipping it so I wouldn't recommend it if you are concerned about print direction. A trick that I learned in a PP class is to hold the paper pattern up to the light with the piece of fabric placed where you intend to sew it and ensure it is covering all the space by at least 1/2" on all sides. Once you get the hang of it you will really like PP not to mention the spectacular results you can acheive with it.

i use paper that you can see thru so you never have to worry if your fabric is going to cover the area.

here's a link to the paper i use

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/sto...3&Item_ID=1087

not to mention that little bits of paper are never left behind the stitches. its amazing how great this product is - the paper just rips right out.