View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 03:40 PM
RugosaB

In the late '80's my Singer died. I didn't know much about sewing machines, but I ended up taking it to a Viking dealer. He told me I just wore out the plastic in it, so I asked him, "You got anything that's all metal?" I have no idea if he was being honest, or just trying to make a sale, but he sold me a 630, after I told him I also did not want anything with a computer in it either.

That thing is still going. I thought about it a little last year, and decided there probably aren't parts made for it anymore, so I've collected quite a few (8) that I've gotten from ebay and other online sources. They all work and cost me less than $700, including shipping.

Some might not agree my logic, but it gives me peace of mind. I also told my daughter when her Singer dies, and it will, I'll just give her one of these.

I do have one that was sold, and bought, just for parts. I've now got parts galore!

Thanks for the article, reminded me of John Deere lawn tractors. We have a Lowe's in the area, and a John deere dealer that's been there for years. Lowe's sells a lesser quality John Deere, so we bought ours from the dealer. You wouldn't know the difference they both use yellow and green paint.

Kitchenaid's the same. My old mixer (1980) is now worth more than a new mixer.

But how is a buyer to know?