View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008, 02:24 PM
Tiffany

Jeanette, it sure doesn't sound dumb to me. I used to consider using the store bought ones but I have a wonderful friend who appraises quilts and she talked me into doing my own labels simply because of the historical value later on. The more information that is known about a quilt the higher the value. I tend to make my quilts with the idea that they will last a generation or two (or four!) and so I keep that in mind when making a label. There is no right or wrong way though and if you are comfortable with using the little store bought labels then that is good too. The key is that you are using a label and as long as it has your name on it and the date that is really all that counts.

If you decide to make quilts to enter into shows or Challenges, you will need to do a regular label like the kind many of us are talking about here. Some shows have very specific information they require on the quilt label and sometimes, depending on how many shows it is in, your quilt could actually end up with several labels to meet each requirement. And for shows, the reason for adding the date to your label isn't just to know when you made it but because many shows have a time limit, especially shows at a national level. Once you have put the very last stitch into your quilt you only have 2 years to enter it into as many quilt shows and Challenges as you would like, unless it is an antique quilt. Those are an entirely different catagory all together.

Sadly, I have given away all my quilts so I literally do not have a label I can take a picture of to show you. I've just finished making a baby quilt for my soon to arrive grandson (due Feb 10th) and I haven't made a label for it yet. I'll make sure to take a picture and post it once done so you can see exactly what I am talking about. That said, if you go to a quilt store or to a quilt show, often you can look at the back of the quilts - as long as you have a glove of some kind on. They tend to frown on people who handle the quilts with bare hands. If it is a place with a no-touch policy, ask whoever is in charge or working security if they will show you several examples of what a good quilt label looks like. Most people will be more than happy to share.
~Tiffany