View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 12:20 PM
MNQuilter

Originally Posted by BarbS
Hi:
I am relatively new to this world of quilting and have been admiring all the postings of the everyone's Pioneer Blocks.
I would like to attempt to make these blocks and do a sampler quilt for a double bed.
Could anyone tell me how much fabric I should buy......just a ballpark idea......I don't mind having leftovers for my stash!!

I'm thinking I probably need about 5 or 6 different fabrics....but can't really get my head wrapped around how much of each I should buy to do all 12 blocks in the series??
Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Barb
Hi Barb, I had this same question. I ended up buying 2 yards of most fabric and 3 of the one I knew I would use most. I have 6 fabrics I'm using, including the background fabric I picked. I haven't got fabric for the backing yet but plan to pick it up when I"m done. I sat down and figured out what colors I want each block to be, then what strip sizes I need for each color. At this point, it looks like I'm going to be adding a lot of fabric to my stash! I would say that 2 yards of each is going to give you plenty of fabric if you are just doing the 12 blocks. You are going to want extra for sashing and borders.