Old 02-11-2012, 10:39 AM
lvaughan

I have the Janome 350e, bought it about 18 months ago. I had a Bernina 730 previously with embroidery that was my first use of an embroidery machine. I loved the embroidery more than the sewing, (I like the 5mm feed-dogs better than 9), so sold it and used the money to buy the Janome. First of all I really miss the embroidery of the 730, it was easy and did a wonderful job. I like the Janome but have had a few problems with bobbin blobs of thread that tear holes in my fabric. I took the machine in for service twice and they couldn't find any problems. My machine does seem to like certain threads more than others, doesn't like the coats embroidery thread I got at Wal-Mart at all. I would have to sit and watch my machine through the stitch-out to catch problems, definitely can't get up and leave the room. So, while sitting and watching it one day I noticed that when it stopped and the thread cutter engaged that the thread jumped and got a loop in it about one inch long. I think that when that happened that the thread was getting a knot and when the thread went through the tension it was getting stuck and causing the bobbin problem. I now watch for the thread jump and pull the thread out a couple inches every time I have a stop. Another thing my sister suggested to me recently, she has the Janome 300e, is using the Schemtz embroidery needles with the red dot. She embroiders daily and had some of the same thread bobbin jams and said that when she switched to the red dot embroidery needles she quit having problems. I have done a few zippered tissue cases since she made that suggestion and had one glitch, it didn't ruin my project though.

I don't know if this will help you make a decision about buying a Janome 350e. If I were buying again I would look at the Brother 770. For the price difference, they both have 5x7 hoops and USB ports I would probably go with the Brother.

Last edited by lvaughan; 02-11-2012 at 10:42 AM.