View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Lee in Richmond

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Suggest going to a dealer to see what trade-in's they have available. A nice basic machine. Does she want to start with quilting, or does she want to start with garment making? If quilting - pretty easy as all she will really need is a straight stitch machine and not a whole lot of extra presser feet. If she wants to make garments she will a need a little more (especially in the way of feet). Also check Craigs list, but I would start with a dealer as those machines have been serviced and she'll get some (albiet limited) support. I was at my dealer yesterday in fact and they had three nice old machines for $75 - a Kenmore, a White, and something else I don't remember. They were cleaned, serviced and ready to go. If she's coming in May (and is willing to wait that long for a machine), research the dealers now and if they don't have one available "today" leave your name and number with them if anything should turn up.

If she spends less now on a machine to see if she likes it, she can spend more on other needs (fabric, thread etc), and if she likes it and wants to jump to a machine with more bells and whistles, she can keep this one as a backup (we all need a backup machine!).

What wonderful advice! So many people buy too much machine in the beginning and never get the hang of it. Classes can be too overwhelming to someone who has never made an apron or such (like we did in Home Ec. thousands of years ago).