View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 08:07 AM
shelburn

Question Vintage Japanese Clone????

I had questions about a machine that I acquired from the "Free Store" at our sanitary landfill. It came without any information and few extras, but the basic machine was in tact with it's white plastic cover. Posted a query last week on this forum asking for help identifying her.
I had one reply that a picture was needed, so I worked last week cleaning her for her photo session and of course, did simple maintenance as well. At first, I could not get the top thread to pick up the bobbin thread, so I removed a few screws and checked on the bobbin case assembly. It seemed o.k. so I cleaned it and put it back together, noting that the mechanism was almost a duplicate to my Janome. I put a new needle in, replaced the rusty metal bobbin with a plastic bobbin from the Janome that was the same size, noted that the needle threaded from left side to right, plugged her in, and with crossed fingers, pressed the foot peddle. Woww!!
A beautiful straight stitch was produced as well as the different zig zag width stitches. Quiet, smooth and sweet!
the machine is a light tan color and looks to have very few scratches. I would venture to say it has not had much use. Not bad for a throw-away freebee!
Still would like to know if anyone can add to the information I have gleaned through searching the internet. Seems that there were many of these machines made after WWII in Japan and imported by companies like Gimbles, Sears, etc., and various names were given to them. They were well made, sturdy work horses in many different colors, such as sea grean, bright blue, yellow and even fire-engine red! Mine is a very demure tan color.
As to the picture, I didn't have any luck trying to post pictures. However, just yesterday I put in a search for "Japanese Morse Model #1550A sewing machine" and got a hit immediately for it on E-Bay. If you check out the vintage machines with that phrase, you will see an exact picture of what my machine looks like.
I am curious to know if the machine is related to my Janome (New Home) machine, and if it is possible to find a manual for it. I think I will add her to my growing collection, which is up to six now. I love the sturdy, even, quiet way it makes stitches.
It was fun researching it and am a little let down now that I have finished with to search. Hope someone can add to the information that I already have!