Old 02-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Havplenty

fray check stops fabrics from fraying, its like a glue bonding agent. you use very little of it (just drops) to stop say a accidental hole in your clothing or on certain fabrics like georgettes that fray crazy. for example i have a beautiful georgette skirt that started fraying at the hem tape and i couldnt just cut the frayed part and rehem it because the fabric is so light and loosely woven, so fray check to the rescue. i used a very light coating of fray check across the damaged hem part, retaped it with hem tape and sewed the hem back up. some crafters/sewers use fray check on ribbon to keep it from fraying at the cut edges. say you snag some piece of clothing and you do not want the whole to get bigger (due to washing, continued use, etc) you would use a drop of fray check to seal the hole or say the inside seam of a piece of clothing (or the lining) is coming apart (the threads are loosing up at the sewn seam), you would use a drop of fray check to stop it. these are just some of the uses for fray check.

fray check does dry hard and can stain some fabrics so be careful when using it. my georgette skirt is a black floral and the fray check was used on the inside hem so i had no worries. because fray check is a sealant it can be difficult to remove so use it very sparingly. dritz has on their website that fray check can be removed by soaking your item in alcohol but i have never tried this. i had become expert at using it so never had any problems.

Originally Posted by Jan Rutherford View Post
How do you use FRAY CHEC on clothing? I have used it with sewing projects, but not clothing. I am interested, since clothng prices are agast, & we all are trying to extend the life of all we wear, and strech the dollars?
Hoppa~ hope your back gets better... no fun when your in opain and can't do much. My Hubs has bad knees and has to sit alot. TAKE CARE.

Last edited by Havplenty; 02-12-2012 at 08:36 AM.