View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 10:38 AM
ejpkam

Originally Posted by barbo117 View Post
Your story about your grand mom is very touching. Her work is just beautiful and I am sure that you treasure it. I have always felt that these ladies were and are such gems. How many people had beautiful quilts, clothing and treasured keepsakes because of ladies like them. Like your grand mom, my mother sewed for a living supporting 4 kids on her sewing machine. She actually went through a new Singer sewing machine every couple of years because she wore them out. In her later years she also worked for several dry cleaners doing all their repairs and alterations. There were many times that she sewed up into the wee hours of the morning because she had a "job" that had to be completed for someone. Between sewing for others and keeping us kids in homemade clothes, I don't know how she had time for much else but somehow she always had time for me when I asked her to make clothes for my dolls. Like you I adored my mom. God Bless them all.
That is such an inspiring story! I am sure her love for her children kept her going!