Old 02-12-2012, 01:02 PM
carrot

I remember those days !! We did the same thing.... my mom even got her arm in the wringer -- so she never let us do that part. aahhhh.... memories ☺

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
I grew up hanging clothing outside in warm weather and on a line in the basement next to the oil burner in the winter. For a long time my mother had one of those wonderful old wringer washers. The clothing would come out of the washer, then get squeezed into a tub of clean water with a built in scrub board which you'd use to get the rest of the soap out. Then you'd swing it around to an adjacent tub for a final rinse and finally swing it over a laundry basket to take it out to dry. There is something so homey about laundry on the line. And you always remembered to hang your undies on the inside so no one would see!
I actually asked my husband for the clothes line tree we have as a birthday gift a couple of years ago. He thought I was nuts.
Living on a sandbar, we don't have a basement, so it's outdoors for me! I don't really mind too much since there is a constant wind coming off the ocean. The only thing I don't like is the lint. They dryer gets it right off. The Appliance Doctor had to order a part, so it's only until Tuesday or Wednesday that I have to wait.