View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 04:09 PM
spartan quilter

Default Caramels on a cutting mat

I know that sounds like a strange title, but I make candies and I used an old cutting mat to cut my caramels and I had requests for the recipe, so here it is. Look under non-quilt entries for A NEW USE FOR AN OLD CUTTING MAT if you are wondering what I am talking about. I don't know how to put in a link. Then I realized that I could post the picture here. lol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]311296[/ATTACH]

COMBINE in a heavy pan
1 cup butter
1 cup white syrup--not pancake syrup
1 cup white sugar
Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring constantly. Once it comes to a rolling boil, reduce heat to medium and let boil for 4 minutes, NOT stirring. Then, remove from heat and stir in 1---14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk. Return to heat, put in your candy thermometer and stirring constantly, bring to the candy temperature of 250>255 degrees. This will take 12>15 minutes. [Just a hint, be sure to bring your phone close to you, and I sometimes have a good book to read for that 15 minutes or a good TV show to watch] The candy at this point looks like a pudding thick brown gravy. If that makes any sense to you. Remove from heat, and stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 6 ounces of chopped pecans or nuts of your choice. It is also very good, without the nuts, for those who have trouble with nuts. I let it sit in the pan and I get a pan ready then to pour it into. Use an 8 to 9 inch square pan, line it with buttered foil for easy removal. By this time, your caramel has cooled down for 5 minutes or so, and you pour it into the pan. Set in a cool place to set up, and I usually let it set overnight. When you remove it from the pan, let it sit at room temp for an hour or so, then run a sharp knife around the edge and then turn out onto a cutting mat. I use an old cutting mat that I can no longer use for fabric. I use a pizza cutter to cut the caramel. I wrap in foil pieces if I am giving away, or just store in small plastic containers for my consumption. If you have any questions, please feel free to pm me, and I will try to answer them. Happy eating.
Attached Thumbnails 2012-feb-12-candy-stuff-001.jpg