Old 02-15-2012, 08:54 AM
pastimesquiltdesign

Default Roasted Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce (healthy)

After making all those Valentine treats I thought I should eat something healthy. I experimented with Cauliflower Alfredo sauce and while it doesn't have that creamy texture of regular Alfredo sauce, I thought the flavor was fantastic. And a big plus that it is made mostly from veggies and not heavy cream and butter. I poured mine over whole grain linguini and added steamed veggies for Pasta Primavera. If you want to make it a complete meal you can add cooked shrimp or grilled chicken. Why not give it a try? Peggy

1 Tblsp olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp oregano leaves
1/2 tsp basil leaves
1 head of cauliflower
1 can chicken or vegetable broth
2 Tblsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp coasrse ground black pepper
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese

Wash and core the cauliflower, cut in small pieces, and place on a baking sheet. Combine the olive oil, garlic, basil, and oregano in a small bowl. Drizzle over the cauliflower. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes until tender. I stirred it around a couple of times during the cooking process.
Might I just add, this smells wonderful.

Place the chicken broth, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and cooked cauliflower in your blender. I used my Ninja. Puree until it's as smooth as possible.

Place pureed cauliflower in a small saucepan. Add the cream and grated cheese. Heat, stirring just until cheese has melted. Adjust spices to your taste. Pour over your favorite Pasta.