Old 02-15-2012, 06:20 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by HiDesertQuilter View Post
Vintagemotif,
Can you get a measurement as to how wide your post is on your spider? I see yours is solid where mine has a hole in it. I'm thinking mine is missing a piece that should be inside the post. Does just the end of your post fit into the hole of the bobbin race or does the whole thing slip in?
The entire post fits into the tube with the hole located in the race. It will not go entirely in unless all is lined up just right. I find that I have to have the needle up (naturally) and the race rotated just right for the spider to slide in. Plus for the spider to fully seat in properly, the spring/bar (the little bar on the spider that moves) must be held so that the bar is out of the way.

I had to study the spider and then study the race to figure out how they both work together. Then I just rotated the race until I was able to slide the spider in, trial and error. When removing the spider, I have to do the pretty much the same thing, trial and error or what works and what doesn't.

Even if your spider is missing the center solid that mine has, it should still slide into the hole of the tube in the race.

I will measure later on this evening for you. The natives at home are getting hungry. I best feed them.