Old 02-16-2012, 10:56 AM
nycquilter

For many years, I made quilts for the PTA auction at my DD's school. The past two years, I did the same for my god-daughter's school. For DD's school, the first two years, they (the PTB) wanted self-portraits. The first year, when teh kids were in 1st grade, I ironed freezer paper to white fabric and the kids used fabric crayons and markers to draw themselves. The next year, I found a pattern that was either a boy or girl. Each child sent me a piece of fabric that they chose, from old clothes or sports uniform, and I used that fabric for the pants/shirt or dress. Then I sent the finished blocks home for the children to decorate. I got them back and sewed into a quilt. The 3rd grade class, I taught them foundation piecing using muslin as the foundation and they pieced schoolhouse blocks. The 6th grade (I took a break) they again did foundation piecing on muslin and did the snail trail pattern (a tesselation which they had studied in school) in their school colors. EAch time, at the auction, the quilts raised at least $750, with one year going as high as $1500. For my goddaughter's classes, the kids simply drew on white fabric. I don't know about the money but was told it was among the highest amount raised by any one class project. I also donated a regular quilt for the "shop" at the auction and that quilt went for a lot less. The size varied, depending on the number of kids/class, but averaged twin-size, I think.