Old 02-16-2012, 11:40 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Was going to go to the LSMG yesterday but I ran into a snag. The battery in my Pathfinder was DEAD. Yours truly had left the stupid dome light on a couple nights back and killed it. So on the way we stopped at O'Rielly Auto Parts and had them put it on the charger. It wasn't hurt so they were able to charge it up for me.

Then at the sewing shop I bought a case and a couple screws for my SEWMOR 404. While doing that I noticed he had two treadle bases sitting on the floor by the counter. One an older Singer, not sure what vintage but the belt shifter was a round hole rather than an oblong one. The other for different brand.
I asked him about it and he said he had a modern reproduction Singer treadle top in the back room. I know it's modern cos it's made from that crappy particle board. Looks decent though. We worked a deal and I walked out with a treadle base, case, screws and a new belt for C note.
I'm going to have to clean and de-rust the iron but that's no big deal. At least it's complete and nothings broken.
When I get done with it my Singer 9W-7will have a home until I get his treadle repaired. That may be a while as I've got to get someone to weld or braze the broken parts or find a replacement center section that matches and quite a bit of wood repair to do as well.

When we got home I stuck the SEWMOR in the case, plugged it in and tried it. It works and sews. Good. Now down to the basement to my work bench to be cleaned and oiled. The first thing I did was pull the needle (so I don't do a blood test ) then I pulled all the plates, motor, light, hand wheel, bobbin cover and needle cover off so I could oil and clean.
I looked at the needle through my Loop because it didn't look right. It was shorter than a 15x1 and marked "BOYE" 40-60. I compared it to a new 15x1 then to a 206x13, I was shorter than both. I don't know what it is. Somehow the machine was sewing with it.

Later today I'll get back to the cleaning.
I've got to go buy a bottle of TESTERS gloss black model paint. Gonna touch up a couple of chips on the paint.

Joe
The first thing I did was pull the needle (so I don't do a blood test ) - in the same category as getting a vaccination isn't it...