View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Karenjane

Default Accidental Quilt (AQ)

This quilt is the second installment of my mystery quilt duo. I call it accidental because it looks nothing like the mystery quilt it started out as; and the blocks I added to it came together by chance. The blocks I ended up with in the mystery had no business being in the same quilt together, so I had to come up with another plan. One batch I pieced together in a small (60X60) throw that I posted in January. This one, however, just begged for more and I decided that some dresden plates just might work. So I went to my ever-growing stash and found the green print that I just had to have but had no idea what for when I purchased it. Then I found some additional complementary prints (some were about to be packed away for that scrappy quilt I want to do someday); that were perfect for the blades along with some of the fabric I used in the pieced blocks. I finished piecing this one back in the summer but other projects got in the way before I got to quilting it. Then I decided I couldn't start any new projects until I finished the mystery duo. I was disappointed when the mystery just didn't work out, but I did sort of get a two-fer from it, accidentally, that is.

I challenged myself to get out of my FMQ meandering rut and do something different with AQ. I did several practice pieces and thought I'd come up with a plan, my first block was pretty bad, then on my second one, I guess I got inspired by something and it looked pretty good, so good in fact that I had to rip out that first one. Next to my second one that first one just looked frightening. If nothing else, I really learned so much from this quilt. I'm quite anxious to get on with some new projects, a couple sort of sneaked in when I was a visiting one of my quilting sisters, esp. the spider web that's still brewing. My swirls improved even more as went along and I improvised on the squiggly swirls in the blades. I did just see some similar swirls in a Charisma post, which were quite lovely. Her's are more elegant than mine, but I'll keep working on them.

I hope you like it.

Karen
Attached Thumbnails aq_whole1.jpg   aq-dpclose1.jpg   aq_back1.jpg