View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 05:51 AM
I Herd Ewe

Yes, you can make a quilt in a day depending on size, pattern, etc you choose. I recently taught a friend who had never sewn before to quilt using the 10 minute block pattern to make a throw size quilt. She used a layer cake to make 6 blocks, set them together, added a 6 inch border to make a generous size throw, pin-basted, marked and quilted a simple pattern and completed the quilt in one long day. I did help her pin and some on the cutting (it was her first time using a rotary cutter as well). It took her about 10 hours to a beautiful completed quilt. Why? There is a lot to be said for instant gratification, especially with a beginner. She didn't have time to get frustrated or discouraged. The quilt is beautiful and got tons of compliments from family and friends. She went in one day from "I can't do this!" to "Will you teach me another one?" (Of course! We did a jelly roll races quilt the next day!) She may eventually decide to do a more complicated or bigger quilt that will take a long time to make but never will she make a quilt that will excite her more than that first one. For right now, she is gaining confidence making 10 minute block quilts and jelly roll races quilts for all her kids.