Thread: Newbie from SC
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 06:55 AM
gneebee

Default Newbie from SC

Hey. I've sewn off and on for 30 years, mainly for the 4 children we raised. (3 are now married and our youngest son is serving in Afghanistan). I've never made a quilt, but recently purchased a new Babylock Ellisimo and am really getting into machine embroidery and applique. It's so much fun, especially now that we have 4 grandchildren (#5 due in April)! I'm having a blast. One daughter-in-law requested a quilt for our brand new grandson (the other 3 are granddaughters) and I've always admired those who quilt, so I've signed up for my first quilting class at the end of his month. I'm excited to begin learning.

I have an old Bernina 180 that I've used mostly for straight stitching and zigzagging. It has never been updated and I've never really learned to use all of its features. The Babylock came with a walking foot, but the Bernina doesn't have one, so I suppose I'll take the Babylock to class. I wish I had a machine to carry to class that didn't weigh so much!

I grew up with a talented mom who made all of my clothes, often copying those she saw on the rack. She never quilted or taught me to sew, so I've sort of learned mostly on my own. I did take one class during my college years... back in the 70's. I work part time as a registered nurse and babysit for our grandchildren when the opportunity arises, but I'm working on organizing the FROG to become my sewing studio/haven. I'm eager to learn from you all! Jeanie from Lexington, SC.... in the center of the state, outside of Columbia