Old 02-17-2012, 11:23 AM
J Miller

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
Regarding using something else for belts. I'm like faaaarrrrrrr away from anyone that sells belts. I ordered two leather ones and could not for the life of me get one stapled together. In trying to make a hole - the belt kept slipping and hole went in crooked and resulted in the belt splitting. Soooo I read here on the board that someone used the leg of a panty hose and I tried it. Works like a charm and cost was zero. And was much easier to put on - just stretch it as far as it would go and tie a knot.

Also I have a question. Can someone tell me the model number of a Singer electric machine - serial #AH300426. I think it was manufactured in 1947. It belongs to a friend and she needs a power cord that goes from machine to plug in. I've never seen the machine - just going by her description.
I cheat when I make the hole in my treadle belts. I have a small rotary burr that I put in my Dremel tool. Crank it up to about 9,00,000,000,000 RPM and it just zips right through the belt.
I'm not sure what I'd do if it weren't for the Dremel. What did they do in the old days?

Joe