View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 12:54 PM
crafterrn1

Here is what I did on my small applique. I do the diagonal lines a lot. It just speaks to me. So mark the background in each square with diagonal lines either 1/2 or 3/4 inch depending on the size of your block. a 12 inch block I may use 1 inch. There will be lots of starting and stoping. I solve the caught tails of thread by pulling my threads to the top. I hold the top thread tail and I advance the needle into the quilt sandwich. I bring the needle back up and pull the bobbin thread thru. I start to stitch then reverse stitch for 2 stitches then sew to the applique. I reverse stitch for 2 stitches go forward for 2 stitches, Stop and pull the top thread to the left. I repeat the needle down needle up action and pull both threads far enough to cut them. I start on the far side of the applique. I continue until all the lines are sewn. I sometimes start in the middle to push any wrinkles to the sides. I use a papermate mechanical pencil to mark the lines lightly. It wears off and does wash out. Here is a photo of the red and white applique. I also added the Sail Away with special stitching on it. Luann
Attached Thumbnails little-red-flowers.jpg   sail-away.jpg