Old 02-17-2012, 03:30 PM
pinkberrykay

Thanks for all the info. My first spray basting was a GREAT SUCCESS!! I had DS help me with layering the layers teaching him to work from the center out. Proud to say I had NO overspray what so ever so it was an easy clean up. I will be spray basting for now on, this is so much easier then pinning. I have a quilt for my mom that was supposed to be a Christmas gift. I pin basted and started quilting it, I was so frustrated with all the scratches I was getting from the pins i folded it up and put it away. I am now going to pull it out and get it finished, she will be visiting in 6 weeks and instead of mailing it to her I think I will use it on her bed while she is visiting.

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I recommend laying the biggest flat sheet you have over the table first (or possibly on the floor, depending on how big your table is and how big the quilt is) to catch overspray. Just toss it in the laundry afterwards. This is a lot easier than scrubbing a floor!

What I do is first smooth out the backing. Then I smooth the batting on top of the backing until I am satisfied that it is well-centered. At that point, I peel back half of the batting, spray the wrong side of the batting, then smooth the sprayed half of the batting back over the backing. Doing it like this ensures you don't have to struggle with a sticky batting that is not centered on the backing. After the first half is done, do the other half of the batting. Add the top the same way, making sure it is smooth and centered on the rest of the sandwich. Then peel back half the top, spray the batting, and smooth the top back over.

I bought some really nice large clamps at the hardware store that I like to use on the layers when spray basting. Blue painter's tape comes in handy too, for keeping backing fabric from moving around while you are adding batting.

Final tip: Always spray from the outside of the quilt towards the center. This will minimize overspray.

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!