Old 02-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Glenn

Been gone for a week so now catching up on the threads. This is my recomendations for maintaining the finish on these old cabinets or any good furniture. They should be cleaned by my method in the tutorial section or by your favorite method that works. I don't use any oils(Howards feed and cleaner any oil of any kind) it will just evaporate and while wet it will attract dust. I don't use endust or pledge on my furniture. The oil will eventually turn the finish dark and will have to be cleaned. I use Bri wax it has beeswax in it and it is easy to use. You can use any wax that has bees wax in it. You will have to buy it in antique store. You can use Johnson paste wax but it is hard to use. I wax mine once a year and then just dust with a soft cloth then with another soft cloth polish bring back the shine of the wax. You don't need any wax on the cloth to polish just buff. The wax does two main things control the moisture from going into the finish and out again and to form a slick surface which helps prevent scratches from whatever you set on it. You will need to apply two coats several days between each. You will know when a piece needs to be rewaxed when it no longer shines by buffing with the soft cloth. As I said in earlier threads wood does not need oil, it will just sit on top of the finish be it shellac or varnish and will never get down to the wood which is a good thing and the only thing. Remember we are protecting the finish not the wood. The finish is protecting the wood. Wood is dead and can't not eat anymore.