View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 06:13 PM
newbiequilter

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
My question is why would you want to? Why race to complete? IMHO quilting is a hobby to be savored and enjoyed. Quite honestly how nice is a quilt that was raced to completion? Seems if you are racing to finish you will be cutting corners and not piecing very precisely or checking your seams to ensure they will hold up. I just don't get it.
Yes I love to see the progression and yes I love the feeling of accomplishment I have when finishing up a quilt but I think that is because I choose peicing patterns that are complex and visually interesting. I want my quilts to hold up to hard use and I want them appealing enough that they WILL be used.

I carefully and thoughtfully select my quilting designs and motifs to compliment and enhance the piecing or carry on the theme of the quilt. I just don't understand the enticement of racing to complete a quilt just to get it done.
For what it is worth, I totally agree with "feline fanatic". Doing a jelly roll strip quilt really does not require any cutting (well, OK, not much cutting), measuring or exact seams - not to mention piecing HST or other things. I like strip quilts and do them often just to relieve the stress (self imposed) of piecing blocks. I do like Eleanor Burns' methods and laugh often with/at her videos. She has created an empire for herself and her family on her short-cuts and she is to be commended for that. I guess anyone could take a day and devote it completely to making a quilt top. I believe that would require having done all fabric selection before (not included in the "day") and have everything ready to go when the clock starts ticking.....no children or hubby interrupting with requests or questions....no telephone calls....no laundry...no cooking.....OK OK you get the picture....just my HO.