View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 04:39 AM
Edie

Red face

Originally Posted by May in Jersey View Post
I still pay by check, I like being able to look at each bill before paying it and it helps me keep abreast of which bills are rising, usually utilities, and I feel "in charge" of our finances.

Recently we had to pay for our health and prescription insurances and will be reimbursed by DH's former employers so we had to begin paying the monthly charges by direct withdrawal from our checking account and will recieve the reimbursements by direct deposit. This morning I heard the Post Office wants to raise first class postage stamps to 50 cents. I think that will be the biggest incentive for me to begin paying all my bills online. What about you? May in Jersey
I stash away enough every month in a separate account the house insurance, car insurance and property taxes, so when those dates come around I have the money right there and ready to pay. I pay by check for everything. I want to know what I spend the money on and who I made the check out to. I do NOT pay online, I do NOT have the money electronically taken out of our checking account and the bill paid. I want my hands on the money. I want to know that I paid the bill and I want my checking account monthly statement in my hands to see that the check has been cancelled.

I want to be able to handle the money the way I want to - NO debit cards - just cash in my wallet that holds my checks! Have been doing it like this since my husband retired back in '93 and have had no problems and yes, I do get chided for it but this is what works for me and my husband and he doesn't complain. If it "ain't" broke, don't fix it!!!
And it works for us!!!!!! Edie