Old 02-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Mizkaki

Nancy,

Ok Cathy, now I am really confused. I understand completely what you are saying about the thread needing to come off the end. Are you saying whether the spool was designed to come of vertically or horizontally - the thread still needs to feed off the end?
No, Some spools are designed to reel off the side of the spool, such as most regular C&C, Gutermann, etc.
I have a Janome and a newer Pfaff embroidery machine that have spool pins that feed either way. I do understand that when the thread is positioned on the horizontal spool pin it feeds off the end and when seated on the vertical spool pin it feeds off the end. It comes off the side when on a vertical spool pin.
Now I am confused about the way the thread is wound on the spools. I think visually you can tell what the thread path should be by how the thread is wound on the spool/ cone. When the thread is cross wound such as in a cone it should come off the end. If a spool with regular winding is placed so that the thread is pulled off of the end, the thread can catch the notch on the end of the spool. That is why the old Touch & Sew machines came with a huge spool cap Wider than the end of the spool pin) for the thread to slide over.
It seems to me if the thread is both instances has to feed off the end, it shouldn't matter whether the thread is sitting horizontally or vertically when the thread is sitting on a thread guide behind the machine and feeding to the machine from the top of that thread guide? Correct, there is no difference in vertical or horizontal placement of the spool/ cone if the thread is being pulled off of the end.
What is the problem with metallic threads then? I would have to sit own and play with some metallic thread. I don’t know what the problem is.
Nancy

Cathy