Old 02-19-2012, 05:29 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Here is a widget I made to guide the thread from the big serger spools to the sewing machine. Works pretty good too. This is Mr. Lucky modeling it for us. My wife doesn't use her serger much and all that thread is just sitting there. Soooooooo, I figured out how to use it. I took a piece of 3/8" dowel rod and drilled it out so it would fit down over the spool pin. Then drilled two smaller holes for the legs of a close pin spring and viola, a thread guide. Works beautifully too. Right now I have this set up on my #2 Singer 66 Treadle for sewing a quilt. Joe
Joe, the thread spool/stand you are using is the exact same one I used when I was trying to use the metallic thread in my 403a. I never thought that maybe it was not a good idea to go from the thread stand directly to the top thread guide? Did you try using the serger spools without your innovative dowel on the spool pin? What made you decide you needed to give the thread one more path to go through? Was it because your set up duplicates where the thread should originate?

Great idea by the way, but are you a little worried about using the serger thread since it is only 2 ply (I believe). Because a serger uses two threads and one or more threads in the loopers, the thread is weaker than say a 50 weight cotton thread?

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-19-2012 at 05:35 AM.