View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 01:02 PM
mpspeedy

I have been handquilting for more than 40 years. I use the tan leather thimbles. They have a little piece of plastic embedded in them to keep the needle from going through them. I also wear a leather thimble on my left thumb. I cut the "skirt" on it down as that digit is shorter. I long ago taught myself to quilt with both hands. It makes is so much easier, especially if you are working on a floor frame. They actually make a little round disk of rubber that you can use to grip the needle with if it seems to be stuck. I have made myself some just by cutting into small circles one of those rubber like disks they sell or give away to open a jar. The larger eye needle is part of your problem. I know as we age it gets harder to see that tiny eye. I make sure I use handquilting thread as it is especially stiffened to make threading the needle easier. Over the years the tips of my fingers have gotten tough from the constant touch of the needle. I really have to jab myself hard to even feel it anymore.
There are various tools on the market for pushing the needle. One of them looks like a modified spoon and another is again a spoon like handle with a small paddle shaped round end. I know that some people have had a lot of luck with them.