Old 02-19-2012, 08:44 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by Whigrose View Post
Everything about this machine is interesting! It is so simple in design, yet so fabulous.

But here's the BIG NEWS! I just got all three slide plates off!!!!! Wahoo. I'm stoked. We didn't put her belt on today in case we had to take her off the table to try budging her plates. But hold your breath folks, I'm going belt her up, thread 'er up and give her a go tomoree.

Obviously with the plates off we were able to access the shuttle. Indeed there is a bobbin in there but God's truth, I'm scared to death looking and trying to figure out how the shuttle is threaded. ISMACS, here I come. If anyone has experience with this type of shuttle and you feel like jawing, I'm a captive audience :-)

You know, four weeks ago there wasn't a treadle in the house. Now there are, um, some. It's sorta like sauerkraut, you love treadling or you hate it. I equate it with my first experience at a Pow-Wow. The first drum beat I heard woke up my insides like nothing I have ever experienced. That is how these machines are to me. I talk about them to my 'elder' friends and they look at me like I lost it. Sorta like motorcycling - if you don't ride, it can't be explained.

Keep your fingers crossed for me. I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight with all this excitement. Wahoo!! (as she lets out a loud, happy yelp.)

best,
d

Enjoy!
Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
...To get the plates to slide ... It may take some days ...

Here is a link to the Davis VF info: http://www.kelsew.info/Domestic/DavisVFmodels.html

Interesting where the bobbin winder is located.
Deb, Your are too cute! You are right about elderly folks looking at you like you're nuts to treadle a machine. My husband's mom, 87, thought I had lost it with the first treadle that I brought home. My dad, also 87, thinks I'm nuts. Both remember using treadles as kids.

For a video series on helping with winding and loading a shuttle look to Treadlelady, Donna Kohler.
Here is her link to one of her videos on shuttles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFQ6fTVnkT0

Congrats again! Glad to see you are enjoying these vintage ladies and gents!