View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Cybrarian

Default I Love Going to Class Online!

I don't have time to be a good guild member or the money to go to the big Quilt Shows or retreats where the more well known Quilt teachers conduct classes. I have taken some really great classes at my LQS and there are awesome DVDs available from TV Quilt teachers and the well known personalities. Recently because of a recommendation from some QB members I checked out Craftsy.com. What a great find! I signed up for the free class which I have enjoyed watching, and plan on making some of the blocks as pillows and perhaps even a bigger project. While I was looking at other offerings I found Peggy Martin's Quick Strip Paper Piecing class. Paper piecing has been on my list to learn, but seemed like something I was going to have to wait until I had a block of time with no other project commitments. In watching her introduction, it was obvious she had streamlined several designs using strips and chain piecing which seemed like something I might be able to manage now. It was also 50% off [they seem to rotate offering different classes on sale]. When I looked at $30 and the number of projects she teaches I decided it was really worth trying this out. Even within one design she gives more than one way to utilize it. The first one is Pinwheel Polka. She shows a baby quilt and lap quilt.I reworked it a little to make a small wall hanging. It was supposed to be a Valentine project, but I just finished it tonight. Also tried Sharon Schamber's glue binding method, came out great! The fact that the class will always be available, once you purchase it, it's always yours and the number of "classes within the class" were the big selling points for me. Said all this to recommend to anyone who for whatever reasons: time constraints, travel distance, no desire to attend classes by yourself--whatever, this might be something you would want to consider. I will say it would be easier if your computer, laptop, notebook or smart phone can be close to your sewing area. Hopefully I can include a pic of the wall hanging, I'm going to try. Happy Quilting!
Attached Thumbnails ppwallhanging-pinwheel-polka.jpg