View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 05:03 AM
sparkys_mom

Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
The stores don't have to worry about the cardboard not being acid-free, because the fabric is not on them for long enough to be a problem. they sell it before the fabric can be affected! I haaven't heard how long it takes for that cardboard to damage fabric - but I'm not taking any chances - I have too much invested in my stash!
Exactly! As a relatively new quilter I don't worry about the age of my fabrics but I know there are many that have fabric for years and years and ... yes, more years! As a serious amateur photographer, I've used acid free mat board for a long time and it really makes a difference. Last year, I was doing some much needed cleaning out of old prints, etc. and I found some that had been stored in a non-acid free envelope in the same box with those that had been properly stored. Let me tell you, there is a BIG difference. The improperly stored prints were yellowed and spotted while the others were in pristine condition. There is a reason that people are advised to store wedding dresses in acid free boxes.